Friday, November 17, 2006

Enjoying a Glass of Wine.

A couple of weeks ago I had a few visitors in from Florida who wanted to barrel taste our 2005 wines. Things where a little crazy at Crushpad and I ended up setting up a little serving area out on the loading dock, on top of a one ton bin. We tasted through each wine and each barrel treatment and did a blend of barrels to get a final assesment.

Stefania couldn't join me so she asked if I could bring a little wine home for her to try. I ended up with about 1/4 bottle of both the Eaglepoint Ranch Syrah and the Uvas Creek Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon left over.

We sampled a small glass of each when she got home from work, and then put the bottles aside to make dinner. Later that night I poured a glass of each as we went to bed and took them into the bedroom to enjoy as we watched the late hockey game.

It was the first time I've actually gotten to drink our wine. Every other occasion has been a 'tasting' either a rather stressful technical assesment at the winery, or walking visitors through the wines. In that atmosphere I'm more concerned about what is going on technically with the wine and make choices on what to do. It's been an intellectual exercise, not a pleasurable one.

So sitting in bed that night I was really amazed. The wines are damn good. I couldn't get enough of the Cabernet. It was savory, and well balanced with a great texture and nice Cab fruit. I kept going back to it until the glass was drained.

It was a totally different experience. Just getting out of the cramped noisy conditions at Crushpad and having the time to really savor the wine and enjoy it was fantastic. Both just tasted damn good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to enjoy your creation. From reading your posts, it seems that the Uva has been improving quite a bit in the barrel. Looking forward to the release.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to enjoy your creation. From reading your posts, it seems that the Uva has been improving quite a bit in the barrel. Looking forward to the release.