Thursday, September 04, 2008

Training Update

We're two weeks in and doing well. Good thing we started early too, because harvest looks like it will be 2-3 weeks early this year from the past few years.

The Expresso.net bike says I'm over 56 miles in two weeks and the scale says I've dropped 8 pounds. I'm really focusing on the things we'll need for harvest; leg strength, endurance and lifting 30-40 pounds over and over again. I'll also have to watch out for the hand problems that come with harvest. Scrapes, hangnails, cuts and sore hands all come with harvest time. I've got to start now with using moisturizers and remember to wear gloves as much as possible.

There are a lot of people who work at wineries who say harvest doesn't official start until you bleed. Once you have a cut on your hand that requires a bandage, harvest has really started. The sting on your hands from 3.5pH juice in open cuts is one of the little parts of harvest that isn't very glamorous.

I thnk both Stef and I are feeling we're doing well right now. We're getting to the gym every other day or so and getting good workouts done. We should be ready once things get going.

No comments: